Teggiano is a municipality counting 7736 inhabitants located in the Province of Salerno (Campania Region), historically part of the region called “Lucania”. The medieval town center and Diano Valley (Vallo di Diano) are recognized by Ficlu as “Club Unesco”.
The town is located on an isolated height of Diano Valley; it is characterised by a medieval borough and by the buildings and land located around the same hill, declared UNESCO Heritage Site and protected by the National Park of Cilento, Vallo di Diano and Alburni. Around the main center are located the minor district managed by the Municipality of Teggiano: Piedimonte, Prato Perillo, San Marco and Pantano. The total area, approx. 62 sqkm, is made of 50% flat land and 50% hill/unflat area, about 637mt above sea level.
A well known historian, Luca Mandelli, living in 17th century, confers the origin of Teggiano to the colons of ancient Greek city of Tegea. At the end of 19th century instead, another historian named Giacomo Racioppi instead says that Teggiano was founded by osco-sabellian people sent away from their lands after Etrurian invasion. Last theory is that Teggiano was founded by Lucans during 4th century BC. Teggiano was of primary importance during the period of the Twelve confederated Lucan cities, as well as during the social wars; proof of these periods are the ruins in both civilian and religious architecture now findable in the streets of the town center. Probably the city has been destroyed around 410 AC by Alarico (Barbarians). From 5th century AC onwards it kept the name of Dianum/Diano, which names the area of Vallo di Diano (Diano Valley), like when in 1485, inside the Castle was planned, by Antonello Sanseverino, the so-called “Congiura dei Baroni” (Barons’ Conspiracy) against King Ferrante I of Naples; later on, the Castle and the entire city were attacked by Federico, Duke of Calabria (later will become King), but also in this occasion, despite a long-lasting siege, Teggiano kept untouched its fame of unconquerable city; Prince Antonello Sanseverino later surrended to the King, and signed an agreement which saved the city and its population but forced him and his family to leave the area forever.
Once Sanseverino Family left Teggiano, in 1552, the city was governed by different powerful families of the Reign, which had altern success.
From 1811 until 1860, Teggiano was the county seat of the namesake district, part of Reign of Two Sicilies; in 1862, the newly formed Italian Government gave the order to change the area towns and villages’ name, in order to avoid any namesake in the rest of the country; the names of the nearbies towns of Atena Lucana, Sala Consilina, Montesano sulla Marcellana, San Pietro al Tanagro and Monte San Giacomo were permanently set.
Diano was renamed Teggiano (from Tegianum, the city name under the Romans), but this amendmend was obstructed by the local historian Stefano Macchiaroli, who saw in that an unacceptable anachronism; still today local people, referring to Teggiano, call it “Diano” or “Rianu” in the local dialect.
From 1860 until 1927, during the period of Italian Kingdom, Teggiano was capital of the District of Sala Consilina.
View from the northern part of Diano Valley, with Prato Perillo at the center.
According to the Municipal Statute, districts of Teggiano are:
- Prato Perillo, 458mt above sea level, 3.886 inhabitants
- San Marco, 525mt above sea level, 585 inhabitants
Monuments and place to go
- The Castle of Princes Sanseverino, now called “Macchiaroli Castle”
- Il Seggio, loggia located between the roads (Cardo and Decumano, of Roman origins) where meetings of the Municipality.
- Malavolta Palace, now Episcopal headquarters.
- Castle of Princes Sanseverino (11th-12th Century AC), from 1860 called Macchiaroli Castle, from the name of the family which still today owns the property; it has been renewed and upgraded numerous times during its history, and it has been the center of two important events for the local history, like the “Barons’ Conspiracy” in 1485 and a siege in 1497.
- Gate of the Medieval walls, on the southern part of the town.
- Towers of the medieval walls.
- Obelisco di San Cono
• Chiesa di San Benedetto ed ex monastero
- Cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore
– Sant’Agostino Church
• Church and Monastery of Saint Francis (1307)
• St. Andrew Church
• SS. Annunziata Church (14th Century)
• St.Angel Church
• St. Augustin Church and former cloister (1370)
• St. Anthony Church (11th century secolo)
- Former Baptistery
• Church and Monastery of Santissima Pietà (14th century)
• St. Martin Church (14th to 16th century). Rebuilt between 1499 and 1519 by the local noble Giovanni Carrano, who got the patronate.Later restored, in 1820, by the same Carrano family.
- Cono obelisk
- Benedict Church and former monastery
Musei – Museums
- Ex chiesa di San Pietro, ora Museo Diocesano
• Museo diocesano di Teggiano
• Lapidario Dianense
• Museo delle erbe
• Museo della Memoria e dei ricordi
• Museo di San Cono
• Museo della Civiltà Contadina
- Ex Church of St. Peter, now Diocesan Museum
- Lapidary Museum
- Herbs Museum
- Museum of Memory
- Cono Museum
- Museum of Farmers’ Civilization/Traditions
• Strada Provinciale 11/d Laurino (Innesto SP 69)-Piaggine-Bivio Sacco-Sella del Corticato-S.Marco.
• Strada Provinciale 11/e S.Marco-Piedimonte-Macchiaroli-Silla-Innesto SS 19(S.Vito).
• Strada Provinciale 39/a Innesto SS 166(S.Marzano)-Prato Perillo.
• Strada Provinciale 39/b Prato Perillo-Piedimonte-Teggiano.
• Strada Provinciale 52 Sala Consilina-Teggiano (Innesto SP 11-loc.Macchiarola).
• Strada Provinciale 166 Innesto SP 39-Prato Perillo.
• Strada Provinciale 231 Innesto SP 307 (Riella)-Fontana Vaglio-Tempa Rossa.
• Strada Provinciale 263 dalla SP di Piedimonte-S.Marco-Corticato-Fontana vecchie forbici-Querce-Camerelle-SP Piedimonte-S.Vito.
• Strada Provinciale 295 Strada Ponte Filo-inizio territorio di Teggiano.
• Strada Provinciale 330 Innesto SS 19-Lagno Termine-Innesto SP 11 (Macchiarola).
• Strada Provinciale 395 Innesto SP 11(Silla)-Innesto SP 49 (Sala Consilina).
Hai bisogno di qualche informazione? Mandaci una mail a email@example.com oppure contattaci attraverso il contact form del sito, ti risponderemo al più presto.