Cilento for you

Seguiamo il visitatore in ogni sua esigenza e siamo in grado di risolvere anche quelle necessità che si dovessero presentare all’ improvviso, perché sappiamo come e dove andare a ricercare la giusta soluzione.

Image Alt

San Giovanni a Piro

General Info

San Giovanni a Piro is a small village of 3.753 people located in the province of Salerno, Campania region, 8km from Scario (seaside), 15km to Marina di Camerota and 22km to Sapri.
HISTORY
It has been part of the district of Vallo of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies, the from 1860 until 1927, it has been part of the district of Camerota, under the Kingdom of Italy.

The historical and artistic legacy of San Giovanni a Piro includes fifteen chapels which are a real “Itinerary of Faith”. Among all it emerges, for location and importance, the chapel dedicated to Holy Mary of Pietrasanta, just 2km far from the village and 650mt on the sea level. Between the chapel and the village there is still a deep valley covered with vegetation and tall trees, where an old stones staircase and a small trail are located, accessible only by foot or on the back of a donkey. Today, a proper asphalt road, totally non-invasive of its surroundings, facilitates the access to the Sanctuary via cars/vans. It was endeavor of Basilian Monks of the closeby Coenobium of St.John Baptist to sculpt, around the year 1200, the statue of the Holy Mary on the monolitic tip of the mountain where the chapel is now located, making the statue a single piece with the recess where it has been hollowed. The characteristics of the statue of the Holy Mary are infact typical of the Bizantine iconography.
The small chapel with an absis dedicated to the Virgin was able to contain just few dozens of people originally, and it has been modernized and enlarged many times throught the years. Of the original structure, today, just a small part of the abse survives. The building is made of a single nave and the development throught the centuries has been very particular, as it is not aligned with the presbiterium, as the latter was built on the rock and on an unflat area. The inside of the chapel, all made out of stone and concrete, is simply decoratedd with garlands of cream-white angels, while the few windows create a very intimate atmosphere. Some extra rooms are located beside the main chapel area, where decor and furnitures are conserved, like wax made votive belts, taken in procession with flowers and ribbons as sign of gratitude for graces. These rooms are sustained by five archs, while the facade is sustained by four archs. The main wooden-made door has a simple stone-made arch, while at the entrance there is the stone holy water font, and facing the same there is the altar. A couple of angels, located beside the ciborium, replace the original marble-made ones which were stolen in 1989, and yet not found. Outside beside the sacristy, on the rock peak, there is the three-floors bell tower, with two bells, squared base and eight windows of 1×1.1mt. The plaster is pink and decorated with chiseled stones.
Few steps away from the bell tower there is a water spring, and on the small path leading to it there is a concrete tombstone. The building has been majorly restored in 1806, when the strategic location misled the troops of Gioacchino Murat whom, confusing the chapel with a military base, attacked it. In 1955 a lighting started a fire which damaged some part of the structure, which was later restored. In 1988, in occasion of the Marian year, a stone obelisk has been erected, on top of which a Carrara marble statue of the Holy Mary has been placed. To reach the obelisk there is a local stone-made stairway which, also thanks to the iodium lamps placed on the same, make the Sanctuary look like a lighthouse which protects the entire Gulf of Policastro.

Districts

Based on official municipality documents, the district of San Giovanni a Piro are:

  • Bosco, 427 inhabitants. During the Uprising of Cilento in 1828, the population rebelled against the Borbons monarchy. As reply, the King sent there General Del Carretto, whom destroyed the village and killed almost all inhabitants.
  • Scario, 1123 inhabitants. Located on the seaside, and a known touristic spot.

Monuments and Places to Go

Il Santuario di Petrasanta

Il patrimonio storico e artistico di S. Giovanni a Piro comprende quindici cappelle che delineano un vero e proprio itinerario di fede. Tra tutte emerge, per posizione ed importanza, la Cappella dedicata a Maria SS. di Pietrasanta, situata all’incirca a 2 Km. dal centro abitato e a 650 mt. sul livello del mare. Tra la chiesa e il paese esiste ancora oggi un profondo vallone coperto di macchie, di querce e di elci.
In questa fitta boscaglia si snoda una vecchia via a gradini in pietra ed un tortuoso sentiero praticabile solo a piedi o a dorso d’asino. Oggi una larga strada carrabile s’inserisce perfettamente nel contesto storico ambientale e paesaggistico del luogo permettendo un comodo accesso al santuario. Furono, molto probabilmente, i monaci Basiliani del vicino Cenobio di S. Giovanni Battista a scolpire, verso il 1200, sulla monolitica punta del monte Piccotta la statua della Madonna formando un solo corpo con la nicchia incavata nella pietra. Le caratteristiche che presenta la statua della Madonna sono, infatti, proprio quelle classiche della iconografia bizantina. La cappella rupestre con una piccola abside semicilindrica dedicata alla Vergine capace di contenere, in origine, appena poche decine di persone fu solo in seguito ingrandita dai devoti, che, riconoscenti dei benefici ricevuti dalla Vergine, affidarono a Lei la protezione del paese. Della costruzione originaria rimane, oggi, solo una parte dell’abside. L’edificio è costruito ad una sola navata e caratteristico ne risulta lo sviluppo non essendo allineata al presbiterio, in quanto questo fu realizzato sul fermo della roccia, ad occidente, su un piano irregolare. L’interno della chiesa, tutto in pietra e muratura, è decorato a linee semplici con stucchi e festoni di angeli di colore bianco crema; le poche finestre creano un’atmosfera particolare, degna di un luogo di raccoglimento e preghiera. ” in pietra locale.
Alla chiesa sono annessi alcuni locali per la conservazione di arredi tra cui le cinte votive, costruite in cera, con nastri e fiori e portate in processione, come segno di riconoscenza per grazia ricevuta. Tali locali sono sorretti da cinque arcate e su altre quattro, chiuse da cancelli in ferro, poggia la facciata. La porta d’ ingresso presenta un portale semplice ad arco, in pietra, con battenti in legno. All’entrata si trova l’acquasantiera in pietra, e di fronte ad essa vediamo l’altare maggiore. Una coppia di angeli, collocati ai lati del ciborio, sostituisce i due angeli originali in marmo bianco rubati da ignoti nel 1989. All’esterno, a sinistra, accanto alla sacrestia, sempre sul picco della roccia si eleva il campanile a tre piani, con due campane, cuspide a base quadrata ed otto finestre di m. 0,97 per m. 1,10. L’intonaco è di colore rosa ed è ornato con pietre scalpellate.
Il lato di base è di m. 2,10, l’altezza di m. 7,80. A pochi passi sotto il campanile c’è una sorgente e lungo il viottolo che conduce ad essa è fabbricata in muratura una lapide. L’edificio è stato restaurato e ampliato più volte. Un intervento fu necessario dopo il 1806, anno in cui la posizione strategica del santuario aveva tratto in inganno le truppe di Gioacchino Murat che, avendolo scambiato per un fortino militare, si scagliarono su di esso. Il santuario è stato recentemente restaurato. Nel 1988, in occasione dell’Anno Mariano, è stato eretto un obelisco alla Madonna: sulle fondamenta di calcestruzzo è montato un basamento in pietra a faccia vista sul quale si eleva uno stelo rivestito in travertino; sopra il capitello la statua della Madonna è scolpita in marmo bianco di Carrara.
Per giungere in cima, dov’è posta la statua, bisogna scalare una singolare scalinata in pietra locale. Tutta la zona è illuminata con lampade allo iodio, che rende il santuario simile ad un faro che vigila sull’anfiteatro acqueo del Golfo di Policastro.

 

Trekking Itinerary 1: From Serra Nunziata to Timpa del Piombo

It’s an excursions along the coastline of Gulf of Policastro. The mediterranean vegetation and the beauty of panoramas and landscapes make it an attraction all year round, but is recommended to bring water along as no springs are met during the activity. It starts from the Belvedere located in Ciolandrea (San Giovanni a Piro) though an unpaved road, which splits into two soon after. Going on the right side there is Timpa del Piombo, while on the left it reaches the Coastal Tower of Murice (1h walking and 228mt difference in altitude), built in 16th century and used as spotting center against the pirates. The trail from Timpa del Piombo reaches the Cerrito, an area knows for its richness of olive trees; from there, at 379mt on sea level, it is possible to reach a pass from where can be admired the Marcellino valley. From Cerrito, quickly can be reached Timpa del Piombo (415mt on sea level), a beautiful panoramic terrace above the tyrrenian coast.

Trekking Itinerary 2: San Giovanni a Piro to Mount Bulgheria

The itinerary allows to climb up to 1225mt of Mount Bulgheria and admire from there the marvellous panoramas of the coastline. It has some slightly hard stages on the rock, and as there is currently no water spring nor source along the way, it is recommended to bring along water. Departure point is on the heights of San Giovanni a Piro, off SS562 towards Marina di Camerota; once outside the town center, turn right (towards the city stadium), then left on an unpaved road leading to a parking site (547mt on sea level). Here it starts the walk along the crag and, after approx. 1hr through vegetation, there is the refuge “Iazzo Montagna” (826mt). Crossed it and after a narrow valley there is a larger path with steep trails leading to the peak. Mount Bulgheria offers great panoramic view of Gulf of Policastro until Palinuro on one side, and Mount Sacro and Mount Cervati on the other.

Prodotti tipici

Primo

Maltagliati con ragù di salsiccia

Primo

Cannelloni alla napoletana

Secondo

Soufflè di scarola con crema di merluzzo

Dolce

Zeppole campane

Dolce

Sfogliata con ricotta

Infrastrutture

• Strada Regionale 562/a Innesto SS 18-Scario-Bivio Bosco-S.Giovanni a Piro.
• Strada Regionale 562/b S.Giovanni a Piro-Lentiscosa-Marina di Camerota.
• Strada Provinciale 17/a Innesto SR ex SS 562-Bosco-Acquavena-San Cataldo.
• Strada Provinciale 17/c Innesto SR ex SS 562-Abitato di Scario.

Contattaci

Hai bisogno di qualche informazione? Mandaci una mail a info@cilentoforyou.it oppure contattaci attraverso il contact form del sito, ti risponderemo al più presto.

Post a Comment

13 + five =

You don't have permission to register