Laurino is a nice small village that, from the top of a hill at 531mt above sea level, dominates the underlying landscape. At the foot of the hill there is the river Calore Lucano, which starts from Mount Cervati and is rich of very particular fauna, like for example otters.
Laurino was probably founded around 3rd century BC (278BC); its past has been more glorious than the present, as during the 12th century population counted more than 3500 people between the administrative center and hamlets (Piaggine, Sacco, Casaletto and Fogna); today, mainly to heavy emigration, population is only approx. 1900 people.
The name Laurino comes from the fact that the area where it is located is rich of bay trees (alloro in Italian); consequently, Laurino originates from the latin Laurus, Laurinus.
Along the course of history, the ancient population left important legacy of their passage, like the two beautiful donkeyback-shaped bridges, the ruins of the Longobards’ Castle, the frescoes and the wood sculptures of the Collegiata of Santa Maria Maggiore.
From 1811 until 1860 it was administrative center of the namesake district belonging to the district of Vallo of the Reign of Two Sicilies.
From 1861 until 1927, during the Reign of Italy, Laurino was the administrative center of the namesake district, part of the district of Vallo della Lucania.
Monuments and Places to visit
- The convent of St. Antonio da Padova: interesting the church and the cloister with frescoes.
- The Collegiata of Santa Maria Maggiore, rich of art pieces like the wood sculpture of Consulmagno of the 16th century, the chapel of the Holy Mary of the Rosary with its golden wooden altar.
- The Church of St. Elena Consalvo, whom lived in the cave of Pruno.
- Church of Holy Mary Annunziata
- In the town center, numerous aristocratic palaces, with their beautiful gates and portals made of local stone and their chapels.
- The “Seggio”, a room open towards the public square, where the jurisdiction upon the area of Laurino was practised, until 1806.
- Ducal Palace of Spinelli family, and the ruins of Longobards Castle.
Lagane e fasule
• Strada Regionale 488/c Felitto-Ponte Rotto-Bivio Magliano-Stio(Innesto SP 47).
• Strada Provinciale 11/c Bivio Ponte Rotto-Laurino (Innesto SP 69).
• Strada Provinciale 11/d Laurino (Innesto SP 69)-Piaggine-Bivio Sacco-Sella del Corticato-S.Marco.
• Strada Provinciale 69 Innesto SP 11 (Presso Laurino)-Villa Littorio.
• Strada Provinciale 131 Innesto SP 11-Valle dell’Angelo.
• Strada Provinciale 142 Innesto SR 488(Ponte Rotto)-Campora-Innesto SR 488(Retara).
• Strada Provinciale 168 Innesto SP 11-Laurino-Innesto SP 11.
• Strada Provinciale 229 Innesto SP 11(S.Cristoforo)-Innesto SP 69 (loc. S.Lorenzo di Villa Littorio).
• Strada Provinciale 371 Ostaglie-Scalelle-Vesolo.
• Strada Provinciale 440 Innesto Isca Tufolo-Ponte sul Torrente Fangiola-Villa Littorio.
Hai bisogno di qualche informazione? Mandaci una mail a firstname.lastname@example.org oppure contattaci attraverso il contact form del sito, ti risponderemo al più presto.