Ceraso is a Municipality of approx. 2300people in the province of Salerno, in Campania Region.
It was founded by the greek originary population of Focea and Elea (today’s Velia), on the way to the Terre Rosse and Beta path where, thanks to the excellent quality of the wood found in this area to be used in their naval construction sites, some families established here their residence, also thanks to the river Palisco, today known as Palistro, which ended in Velia.
Later on, Ceraso became an important crossroad for trades, thanks to the river Palistro, and the closeby roadpath to Terre Rosse (Red Lands), from where it started the track leading to the Vallo di Diano (Diano Valley); from documents of the medieval times, Ceraso appears as a flouriscent area for commerce.
A parchment from 1149AD of Pope Eugene III recognizes to the Abbey of Cava the coenobium of St.Barbara “ubi Cerasus dicitur” (where is called Ceraso); news confirmed later on by Pope Alexandre II in 1168AD with another parchment.
The inhabitated area of Ceraso developed thanks to the great logistic position, when it became the administrative center of its Municipality, recognized also during Napoleon’s age; later on, the housing development and the increasing wealth of the population made of Ceraso a lively and modern town.
As most of the nearby area, Ceraso was part of the District of Vallo during the Reign of Two Sicilies (1811-1860) and Reign of Italy (1861-1927).
Monuments and places to visit
Housing in Ceraso, as well as in its hamlets, developed in all directions, cutting more and more spaces to the fertile cultures possible close to the riverside, but still some areas remained cultivated, like the “Serre” and the “Ortali” once rich of plants of mulberry.
Closer to the city center, the road which is going to be dediated to Giovanni Lancillotti, local professor of Italian and French at the Real Collegio del Salvatore, the most prestigious school of Naples during the Borbonic era, who wrote the “Italian Grammar” book in 1777, which became the base-text for all the school of the reign.
This square takes its name from the namesake church, built during the 17th century by Lancillotti family in their own garden, which had anyway the main entrance directly from the public square.
The church, characterised by a bust of St.Sylvester, paintings, a nice organ, was demolished during the 1920’s to create an easier access to the town, and eliminate the dangerous turn that surrounded the same; the chapel that was planned to substitute the Church of St. Sylvester was never built, while during the same times Via Ponte (Ponte street, from the bridge, ponte in italian, that was built after the flood that hit the area in the previous decade) was renamed Via Marconi, from the name of the italian inventor of the universal SOS radio call, as also a national law of the fascist party forced to dedicate a road/street to Marconi in every city, town and village in Italy.
Via Roma (Roma street)
It’s the main street of Ceraso; starting from St.Sylvester square, the once known as Via Regie Poste (Royal Mail street, named after the newly opened post office during 1920’s) was renamed Via Roma, as the government, same as Via Marconi, wanted every city in the country to be named after the capital, where all world’s road converge.
Along this road, there was the local headquarters of the Carboneria (the ancient secret society) which was considered an enemy by the once reigning dinasty of Bourbons, and fighting to transform Italy into a Republic.
At the end of this road, the link to Piazza Mazzini (Mazzini Square) dedicated to the hero of the creation of the Italian Republic, which got its name on the main square of Ceraso at the end of 19th century.
Via Fuschi – Fuschi Street
So called the road that from Mazzini square was connecting to Via Marconi; it is dedicated to family De Fusco, famous local family who was living in this same road
Called like this as it still indicated the ancient road to Velia, which is interesting to cross as it leads to St.Nicholas Church, one of the most beautiful churches of the diocese with its polychrome altars and its unusual emptyness, for a more intimate spiritual focus.
In front of the church, there is Piazza della Madonnina (Holy Mary square) so called for the capital recently erected there with a painting of the Virgin.
At the other edge, Via Velina reached the ancient path used to trade salt, through gardens and cultivations.
Is the ancient walking pathway which connected Ceraso to Santa Barbara, from the public gardens dedicated to Pio Fusco climbs up to the higher part of the town.
Fusilli con sugo di cotica
Spaghettone con alici
Fish and chips cilentano
Crostata di mandorle e ricotta
• Strada statale 18 Tirrena Inferiore.
• Strada Provinciale 87 Innesto SS 18-Ceraso-Innesto SR 447.
• Strada Provinciale 269 Innesto SR 447(Ascea)-Catona-Mandia-S.Barbara-Ceraso-Innesto SS 18.
• Strada Provinciale 365 Innesto SP 87-Metoio-Pattano-Innesto SS 18.
• Strada Provinciale 430/b Svincolo Vallo Scalo-Pattano-Vallo della Lucania-Ceraso-Cuccaro V.-Futani.
• Strada Provinciale 433 Innesto SP 365-Palistro-Innesto SR 447.
Hai bisogno di qualche informazione? Mandaci una mail a firstname.lastname@example.org oppure contattaci attraverso il contact form del sito, ti risponderemo al più presto.