Camerota is a small municipality of approx. 7,100 inhabitants, which counts also small fractions called Marina di Camerota (on the seaside, and very well known touristic area) Lentiscosa and Licusati; the administrative center town (Camerota) has a clear medieval influence, with a characteristic historical center and numerous building dated back to that era.
Camerota is well connected to the other districts of the municipality through a Provincial Road which links to the main arterial roads of the area, plus it has a heliport, used for special occasions and in case of any emergency.
The population of the municipality is living mainly in the marine district of Marina di Camerota, while the hilltop districts of Camerota, Licusati and Lentiscosa count much less inhabitants (slightly more than 1,000).
Its name comes from the greek “kamarotos”, translatables as “curved”, referred to the numerous marine caves, where rests from Paleolithic era have been recently found, and made of the area one of the most important for the studies of the pre-historical civilizations on the coastlines; we can’t say the same for the later greek and roman colonizations, which left next to nothing in terms of ruins and legacy to this territory, as seems that the lands where back then scarcely populated.
Only after the Roman Empire fall, with the spreading of the muslim culture in the South of Italy (approx. 7th century AD), the area of Camerota started to have importance for marine trading from and to Northern Africa, while during Medieval times, the territory of Camerota became strategic as it was right on the borders between the Principate of Salerno, dominion of Longobardians, and the Calabrian region dominated by Bizantines; both populations didn’t leave traces of their passage, at least not like Normans which, during the 11th Century, started re-populating the area and build fortresses and richness, thanks also to the Florio family, which under the Reign of two Sicilies was one of the most important families.
During the Sicilian Vespers, at the end of 13th Century, Camerota area suffered due to the splitting of Neapolitan and Sicilian territories, due to its central location between the two future regions, while in 1552 the towns were devastated by the Turks of Rais Dragut, and in 1647 the population joined Masaniello whom was rebelling against the dominators, and in 1828 the same became part of the Cilentanean Revolt agains Borbouns, later stopped violently by the latter.
Between 1811 and 1860 Camerota was center of the district part of Vallo, under the Reign of Two Sicilies, while from 1860 until 1927, under the Reign of Italy, it was administrative center, part of the District of Vallo della Lucania.
Marina di Camerota
Marina di Camerota is the most popolous hamlet of the Municipality of Camerota, counting approx. 3,500 residents (trice as much during summertime); it’s a well know marine holiday destinations, various time recognized with the “European Blue Flag” for the quality of the seawaters and tourist services offered.
The coastline starts from the “Grotta del Ciclope” (Cyclops’ Cave), close to Palinuro, approx. 8km from the town center, up to Lentiscelle Beach, which is located instead closeby the inhabitated area. Marina di Camerota has also an importat harbor, point of departure of Fisherman boats and hydrofoils, in continuous development and now one of the most important in the region, as well as the paleontology era caves and the MUVIP (Virtual Museum of Paleolithic).
Lentiscosa is a small hamlet under the control of the Municipality of Camerota, which comprehends a small inhabitated area on the hillside, as well as the beautiful beaches of Porto Infreschi (a natural harbor characterised by small caves and beaches), and Lentiscelle Beach (closer to Marina di Camerota). Important is the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (Holy Mary of graces) which was built in Medieval era, enlarged in 1493, and restored multiple times until today, and characterised by a dome of majolicas. More recent is the Basilica dedicated to St.Rosalia, patron saint of Lentiscosa, honored of 4 full days of celebrations from 1st to 4th September every year.
In August 2013, the beach of “Cala Bianca”, in the territory of Lentiscosa, has been awarded as Best Italian Beach by Legambiente (the largest ambientalist organization).
Licusati is a hilltop hamlet, 4km from Camerota and 9.5km from Marina di Camerota, and close to the small district of San Severino di Centola (under the administrative center of Centola/Palinuro) which has medieval origins but now recently re-built due to the seismic danger of the original location, now unpopulated but visitable on the daytime. Licusati has important cultivations of the famous olive specie called “Pisciottano”, which takes origin from the closeby town of Pisciotta.
Monuments and remarkable locations
Monuments and remarkable locations
• Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie in piazza Santa Maria a Camerota.
• Church of San Nicola di Bari in San Vincenzo square in Camerota.
• Church of San Daniele Profeta, in Camerota: under greek ritual until 18th century, it’s the oldest church and has been presbiterian until the last decades of 20th century..
• Sanctuary of Sant’ Antonio, on the namesake mount in Camerota.
• Carmelo Chapel located in Camerota.
• Medieval Castle of Camerota, located in Vittorio Emanuele III square.
• Museum of Farming and Craftmanship Civilization, in Camerota.
• Porto Infreschi in Lentiscosa
• Archeological Area of Marina di Camerota, with its pre-historical caves.
• Rocky Chapels of San Biagio in Camerota.
• Sanctuary of Santissima Annunziata in Licusati.
• Kamaraton Theatre in Camerota
• Cala Bianca beach in Lentiscosa (awarded as “Best Italian Beach in 2013 by Legambiente).
• Porto Infreschi in Lentiscosa (awarded as “Best Italian Beach in 2014 by Legambiente).
• Paleolithic Cave
Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Camerota was built in 16th century AD.
Inside there are canvas, painted in 1989 by the local artist Rosalbo Bortone, representing the life of Jesus Christ and numerous statues, including the Holy Mary and the local patron saint St.Vincenzo Ferreri.
There are no written proofs about the origins of the castle, but recent studies could date the main building as from the Normans domination (11th and 12th century AD) which, together with the Italo-greek Church of San Daniele Profeta, was the main axis of the most ancient borough of Camerota.
In 1552 the Castle was raided and burned down, while later on it became the headquarters of the most important and notorious families of the area. Now are visible and visitable only the perimetral walls, the trench, the towers and the internal chapel.
The amphitheatre Kamaraton, located close to the medieval castle, was built in 1997 and is used for concerts and theatre shows. It is unique in the area, if not in Italy, as it has been built entirely with flint fossils.
Civic Museum of Camerota
It’s a Museum dedicated to the Farmers and Handycraftsmanship, with free entry policy. The entire history of Camerota is displayed through photos, tools and written proofs from 1860 until modern days, in the building that once served as jail of the Municipality.
MUVIP: Virtual Museum of Paleolithic
Cala or Paleolithic Cave; a terrestrial cave where recently have been discovered human, animal and tools rests from the Paleolithic era.
A ‘Mnestra ‘Mmaretata - la minestra sposata
Linguine ai ricci di mare
Frittelle con le acciughe
• Strada Regionale 562/b S.Giovanni a Piro-Lentiscosa-Marina di Camerota.
• Strada Regionale 562/c Marina di Camerota-Innesto ex SS 447(Centola).
• Strada Regionale 562/dir Innesto ex SS 562(Palinuro)-Innesto SP 17(S.Severino).
• Strada Provinciale 66 Innesto Statale Mingardina-Licusati-Camerota-Marina di Camerota.
• Strada Provinciale 164 Innesto SP 66-Camerota.
Do you need some information? Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us through the site’s contact form, we will reply as soon as possible.